Well, Life has once again decided to throw me a curve ball. My darling husband has an offer for a new job –in Australia.
He’s been hell bent on finding a way to live abroad. He hasn’t really even cared where. Last year, right around this same time in fact, he was trying to move us to Chile. That didn’t work out. They never really got back to him on the job.
For which I was both grateful and sad. I wasn’t psyched about moving to a place where I couldn’t even speak the language, but it was also thrilling to think of living somewhere else.
Kind of like this opportunity. I’ve always wanted to visit Australia. Crocodile Dundee started it. Then I read Mutant Message Down Under and saw A Town Like Alice. That cinched it. Australia seemed amazing. Definitely some place I’d like to see someday.
But to live there? Well, sure. If I didn’t have one small problem. Actually, three. My fur kids.
Australia is a long way to go. Two of the three are elderly. Mr. Meow is actually in terrible shape. He’s still not quite on track after the latest feeding tube incident.
Worse, I was reading about the logistics of moving pets from the United States to Australia. Not only is it expensive, it’s a long process. It takes 150 days from start to finish, including a 30 day quarantine period.
Um, yeah. That’s not going to happen. I can’t be away from my pets for 30 days! Are you freaking kidding me?
Yet, I know Wayne wants to take this job so bad. I don’t even know if he cares about the job so much, but, like I said before, he’s desperate to live abroad. Somewhere. Anywhere. This would be a way to do it.
I’m much more open to the idea of Australia than I was to Chile, but no one would ask a parent to quarantine a regular child. (Although some might think some kids are in need of quarantining, and some parents might actually like the break.) To me, furry as they may be, my two cats and a dog are my children. I hate even leaving them over the weekend, much less for extended trips.
Murph and Mr. Meow are up there in age. Tab gets wigged out just driving three miles in the car to the vet. If they survived the trip, it might not be graciously. I can’t bear to think of causing them life-threatening mental and physical stress like that.
Yet, it would be exciting to go live in a different country and experience a different culture. And, oh, the sites we could see in Australia!
But then I think of that quarantine…if they even survived to get to that stage. Then I wonder if they’d survive the quarantine. Would they think I’d abandoned them? I think visiting is permitted, but would they wonder why I kept leaving without them? Probably. Could I bear their sad eyes every time I had to leave them each day? Probably not.
It’s hard for me to say no. I told Wayne the other day if it came through, though, my vote is no. Even though I hate denying him such a chance. Sometimes it’s just not the right time for things. This is one of those times.